Alternative energy sources in Ethiopia

Electricity coverage in Ethiopia is very limited and in rural areas only 0.4% of the population has electricity for private use. Overall, electricity reaches 27% of the total population (Plan for Accelerated and Sustainable Development to End Poverty - PASDEP 2007/2008).


The beneficiaries of the project include pastoral and agro-pastoral communities of the five most disadvantaged districts: Filtu, Hudet, Arero, Liben and Gorodolla in the Somali Region (about 70.110 individuals - National Census 2007). In these places only 10.5% have access to electricity throughout the day, while the remaining 89.5% have no access at all.


One wanted to promote the dissemination and use of renewable energies, with the aim of making electricity available to as many people as possible, slowing down the deforestation process, improving the quality of life of those involved and encouraging the growth of small economic activities that will benefit from this resource.


COOPI Suisse contributed to the project conducted by the international COOPI network by participating in the supply of solar systems for four schools, four health centers, five public water points and some veterinary services.


See also



Last news

Last campaigns

  • Child project supporter

    Child project supporter

    Supporters of the Child Project bring food, medicines, education and protection. Thank you for protecting…

  • Friends of COOPI Suisse

    Friends of COOPI Suisse

    The Friends of COOPI Suisse change stories: they provide food, water, security and education Millions…

Last events

Latest on education

  • A round table at SUPSI

    A round table at SUPSI

    Connected Worlds The circuit of International Cooperation nights returns   UNESCO describes Global Citizenship Education…

  • World Peace Forum 2019

    World Peace Forum 2019

    On Monday, November 11th, 2019, the “Village for Peace“, an educational day on subjects of…

Latest projects